Email me

Translate

Follow on Twitter

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest The Heart Smart Gourmet on Pinterest!

Follow me on my new Facebook Page!

First Love Missions
My Ministry Web Page

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

God bless.



Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Ring in the New Year Right!


Well, it's the end of the holiday season and the year and I don't know about you, but I'm still full from the holiday feasting…and a bit tired from all the shopping, guests, etc that goes along with the holidays…but (don’t you just hate that word ) we still have one more rather important party to get on with! I don’t know about you but I want to welcome in the New Year sharing a good time, some laughs, good food and drink with my friends, but I also want to relax and feel comfortable and not rushed. So, I'm going to plan a simple New Year's Eve party, and I'm going to show you how you can do the same.

First and foremost, this will be an informal gathering…no dinner, just drinks and hors d'oeuvres and a good time. No need to set a dress code or anything like that, just tell your guests what you’re planning as far as food goes and let them come as they are. 

Anyway, let’s get to the food. I plan on serving just a few hors d'oeuvres that really pack flavor into small packages. First up, my Spinach & Feta Puff Pastry , also called Spanakopita. This is a light, flaky and delicately delicious combination of spinach, feta cheese, garlic and pine nuts, all wrapped up in puff pastry or phyllo dough. It is extremely easy to make and bakes in 15 minutes. I would suggest doing all the prep beforehand, up to wrapping the pastries. If you do create the pastry beforehand you MUST keep them refrigerated right up until you place them in the oven to bake!

The second hors d'oeuvre will be my Crab Mousse , another light delight that can be served with either whole-grain crackers or atop a slice of cucumber…or even tucked in a leaf of endive. However you decide to present this creamy, delicious mousse, it will be a huge hit, trust me!

Keeping with the seafood theme of the crab mousse, the third item offered up with be my Thai Lemon Shrimp. This sweet and spicy shrimp will surprise your guests with its complex yet complimenting flavors of sweet coconut and brown sugar bouncing off the spicy chili sauce…a crowd pleaser for sure!

Next, I’m planning on serving my Caprese Sandwiches to cool down and chill out from the spiciness of the Thai shrimp. These delicate yet delicious sandwiches are so simple to make, let you 8 year old daughter help you :) A simple slice of tomato is coupled with provolone cheese and fresh basil, complimented by my Veganaise , a healthy, light vegetarian mayo that is surprisingly like its heavier, unhealthy mayo cousin.

I also want to include a salad of some kind so I’ve decided to go with my Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato and Feta salad. This is another dish that is so simple to make that you can re-hire your children to help put it together. Chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese is tossed with a simple olive oil and lemon dressing…healthy, light, clean and delicious!

Of course you have to offer something sweet as well, so I’ve opted to serve two desserts.: my Italian Hazelnut Cookies , crispy, sweet cookies made from toasted hazelnut, sugar and vanilla and my Antioxidant Fruit Salad, a simple mix of mango, blueberries and pomegranate, delicious, bright and full of anti-oxidant goodness to start the recuperation phase and help avoid the “day after” side effects of ringing in your new year.

That’s it…simple yet elegantly healthy food that will have your guests talking about this party for weeks to come…but wait! There’s more! The final item that is an absolute must for after-party eating…and the very best hangover cure that I’ve ever experienced…Ceviche! Yes, I said ceviche. This final dish should be served either right before your guests leave for the night or, if you’re like me and the party goes on until early the next morning, for breakfast! Trust me when I tell you that you will thank me for recommending this wonderful dish as the final touch to a perfect evening…the Pièce de rĂ©sistance if you will.

So, here's wishing for you the very best, happy and healthy new year! Don’t drink and drive…stay safe and healthy this new year!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!

Blog Archive

RSS Feed

{http://heartsmartgourmet.blogspot.com/}